South Wimbledon, London. Thu 26 Jan 2017
The Nelson Arms in Merton High St, on the site of the entrance to Nelson's
Merton Park Estate
Built 1910. This mural by Garters of Poole is of HMS Victory.
This was The Princess Royal, "a traditional pub" until around
2013. It's on Nelson Grove Rd
Merton Place where Nelson lived from 1801 until 1805 was a short distance
to the west, demolished in 1823.
An undistinguished block of council flats on the spot was given the same
name in the 1950s.
Most houses are divided into several flats - at around £450,000 each.
Merton Place, with its 160 acres cost Nelson £9000
A late Christmas for these flats.
High Path houses a number of industrial buildings
Jesus on the peeling billboard for Elim Penticostal Church
Nelson Gardens, a small park opened in Nelson's memory on the centenary
of his death in 1905
The two cannons - 12 pounders - probably came from Nelson's Merton Place
THe Church of St. John the Divine was also built to commemorate Nelson and
opened in 1914
The land for church and gardens was donated inb momory of Nelson
It was a cold trudge along Morden Rd to the Prince of Wales
which was open and we sat getting warm for a while, before moving on
to take a walk around Morden Hall Park, a National Trust property
given to them on the
basis that it remained open and free to the public the year round.
There are various streams of the RIver Wandle here, some ornamental,
others made to power mills
These pictures on National Trust property are not available commercially
A black dog runs across the white bridge
Morden Hall itself is now a 'unique wedding venue, the gates locked
to keep the public out
Some of the buildings are now a
The wheel doesn't work, but the Wandle here used to produce enough
energy to grind a lot of Snuff
Fees at the school range from around £8000 to £11000 a
year dependent on age - and it has a no tech/low tech ethos
The snuff mill
There is a large secondhand bookshop in the stables
Morden Hall Rd
January main page